Boy, oh boy - this is a BIG one!!
But first I have to tell you a really embarrassing story. I heard about Dropps awhile back from Design Mom and I quickly went online and ordered myself a free sample (I paid $1.94 for shipping). It was the middle of the holiday season and I had a lot going on so the samples sat around for awhile. When I finally I got around to using them, I found it odd that I needed a scissors to open up the teeny, tiny little packet and even odder as I squeezed the small amount of liquid into the detergent dispenser. I started the load and went upstairs to find an email from the Dropps company asking me to review their product on my blog. I clicked through to the website to find out more about the strange packaging and much to my embarrassment I discover that THE PACKET IS DROPPED DIRECTLY INSIDE THE WASHING MACHINE!!! Duh, that's why they call them Dropps! Clearly, I hadn't been paying attention when I first read about the product. Frazzled Mom Syndrome or what???
If you're not familiar with Dropps, let me quickly tell you a little bit about them. Like I said, they are tiny little liquid laundry pacs that you put DIRECTLY INTO THE WASHING MACHINE!! They are low-sudsing so they work for both standard and HE washers. And the packet dissolves completely in the wash (like a Listerine breath strip I was told) leaving no reside behind. Now that's convenient!
But the even bigger benefit that Dropps brings to the table (or the laundry room, I should say) is that it is eco-friendly...and in more than one way.
The packaging is...
- Lightweight - a 20 load package weighs only 10 oz!! Compared to the usual large plastic jugs this means less fuel used for transportation and lower carbon emissions created.
- 100% recyclable - PETE plastic
And the product is...
- A highly concentrated formula made without water (vs. traditional detergents that are 75% water)
- Enzyme-free (which means it won't fade your bright colors)
- Extra gentle - safe for babies and those with sensitive skin
- Phosphate-free (most laundry detergents already are)
- Good for any water temp (go COLD to save energy)
And if all that didn't convince you, how about a chance to win A YEAR'S SUPPLY OF DROPPS!!! That is 12 20-load packs!! (do we really do 240 loads a year? yeah, I guess we do.) You pick your choice of Fresh Scent or Clear & Fragrance Free.
To win, please leave a comment on this post stating why you would like to try Dropps. The contest will run through Wednesday, January 16th at 12:00 midnight (One entry per person please and you must have a U.S. shipping address.) and I will post the winner on Thursday, January 17th.