Where or where did the month of July go? Here I said that I would blog along with Enviromom as they did their month long One Can A Month Challenge and I never even got in a single post about it...until today. It didn't help that I've been out of town a lot, or that I've got 2 boys to entertain, but I've also had a big, no make that HUGE project that I've been working on...and I can't wait to tell you about it...but I have to keep it under wraps for just a little while longer. Those are my excuses.
Back to waste reduction. I'm no saint but I do try hard to keep stuff out of the can. Here are a few things that I do that go beyond your typical recycling of bottles and cans from the kitchen.
- Keep a BIG paper recycling basket in the office.
- Save plastic bags that are not recycled by the city and bring them to the co-op or grocery for recycling.
- Collect batteries in an old yogurt tub. When the tub is full I put it out on recycling day.
- Save cardboard boxes and packing materials for reuse. If I get too many boxes I put them out to be recycled. I've donated packing materials to my son's school for projects.
- Compost kitchen scraps.
- Refill body care products and laundry detergent at the co-op instead of buying new bottles every time.
- Buy dry goods in bulk instead of buying new packages.
- Turn onion bags into kitchen scrubbies.
- Salvage stained T-shirts by covering the stain with an applique (made from repurposed old clothes)
- Make eco-friendly crafts out of old cardboard, magazines and other 'gargage.'
- Save all sorts of packaging stuff to make 'junk sculptures' with my boys.
And my latest project..started in honor of the One Can A Month Challenge - I'm saving all the plastic containers that are not currently recyclable by the city (Minneapolis only takes plastic bottles with necks - can you believe it?) and I will be driving them up to a co-op in North Minneapolis that has contracted with a business to recycle them. Here's a photo of what I've collected so far this month - It's probably not as thrilling for you as it is for me - but that's a lot of stuff that I kept out of the can! I just hope it's worth the gas emissions to drive them all the way across town.
Thanks again to Enviromom for a month full of great tips on waste reduction!