This easy eco-craft is perfect for a child's birthday party or for a child to give as holiday gifts to friends or relatives. All you need are some felted sweaters (find directions for felting wool sweaters in this post from a few years back), some embroidery thread, a pin or two and a large sewing needle. Then follow these simple directions:
- Cut squares out of felted sweater material for coaster base.
- Cut shapes out of felted material in contrasting colors. I use cookie cutters to create a cardboard template for the shapes - hearts, stars or whatever you like!
- Have your child choose a coaster base, a decorative shape and some embroidery thread.
- Pin the shape on the square.
- Help them thread the needle and get them started sewing.
- Tie the thread in a knot on the bottom when they are finished.
Voila! A pretty, easy, eco-friendly, handmade gift! My almost 7 year old son whipped up a few of these the other day in a jiffy. Frankly, I was surprised at how much he enjoyed sewing - he kept wanting to make more! I did this for an event at the boy's school as well and it was big fun!
Do you ever make eco-crafts with your kids? What's your favorite idea?
Looking for more DIY ideas? My Make It Green page lists all of my DIY crafts and recipes in one place!