Welcome to 2013! I've been spending the last few days letting my brain ponder all of my thoughts and ideas for the new year and trying to distinguish between the "I shoulds" and the "I wants" (which is harder than you might think.)
One realization I've come to is that my resolutions from last year - which revolved around taking care - of the planet, my family's health, my community and myself - still stands very strong. As one of my Facebook readers pointed out "Our lives are an evolution and we must continue to nurture and work toward our goals without pause so really you don't need a new resolution at all." That sentiment is so true.
That said, a few things rose to the top of my thought process that I want to focus on in 2013:
The more time goes by, the more I realize that creativity is a major pillar in my life. My happiness and level of contentment depend on it. Yet it's so easy to race through the day doing work because it "has" to be done, without any inspiration to lift me up and guide me. It's creative inspiration that spurs my greatest work so it makes sense to spend some time encouraging it.
This year I want to explore ways to assist my creative mind in opening up - more often and more enthusiastically. If you have any recommendations for exercises that get your creative juices flowing please share! One action item I already took was to sign up for Scoutie Girl's daily emails. Tara has such a great way with words and is a true inspiration to me.
Also, in an effort to keep getting crafty in a physical sense, I've signed on to write a monthly blog post about a Green DIY craft idea for Green Your Way (a channel on the Life Your Way blog network). Look for my first post coming out in mid-January!
Build My Business
When I started this blog over 6 years ago I had no idea it would lead to a whole new career path for me. First, I had the incredible opportunity to write my book, Practically Green: Your Guide to EcoFriendly Decision Making. Eventually I started doing freelance writing, social media and consulting work for clients that I met along the way. Nothing makes me happier than helping to promote and grow green and health focused businesses and causes!
In 2013 I plan to put a lot of emphasis on growing my own business as well. That might mean fewer blog posts on my own blog but that seems to be a natural progression for many other bloggers turned professionals that I've seen. If you have a green brand, eco-friendly product, sustainable service or social cause that you want help promoting please let me know!
Try New Things
- Body Pump class at the YMCA
- Paleo Diet (just a little test run, nothing permanent)
- Gochujang Sauce - We love our Sriracha sauce around here but this spicy sauce from Korea is apparently giving Sriracha a run for its money.
- Almond Milk - as in making my own (with a tutorial on the blog!)
- Sandwich Wraps (like the Wrap N Mat) - I can't believe I've never tried this popular tool for a waste-free lunch.
- The Batchelor Farmer restaurant - even President Obama has been to this acclaimed Minneapolis restaurant that grows its own produce on the roof!
- SEO - as much as I don't want to admit it search engine optimization is crucial to a blog's success. I'm sure there's more I could be doing - both for myself and my clients! Book or blog suggestions welcome!
What plans do you have for a happy, healthy, creative New Year?
Speaking of creativity - don't you love the snow fort built by my husband and 2 boys over Winter break?